To every thing there is a season, and a time for every purpose under the heaven.


Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Summer Reading We Won't Be Doing

Reading is not my munchkin's first love. She'd much rather be doing something active like whacking a tennis ball or playing with the Wii, but I know how important it is for her to improve her reading skills over the summer. We've been trying to do some every day. I don't care what she reads, as long as she's reading. We've read recipes, game directions, cereal box labels, you name it. Yesterday, I thought, "Hey, let's look at some news sites on the internet. She'll not only be reading; she'll gain a better understanding of how our society works." I thought I'd better preview them first so I'd be prepared for her questions.

So, off I went to CNN. As I scanned the headlines, I imagined what she'd ask:
"Mommy, who is Anthony Weiner? And why does anybody care that some guy's engagement got called off? I think his name is Hugh Hefner?"
Okay, maybe CNN isn't the best site for an 8 year old. I'll try Fox News. They're conservative.
"Mommy, what's this about a lady named Maria Shriver crying with a mistress? What are they crying about? And there's that Weiner guy again. What does 'sexting' mean?"
I decided to scratch the plan to read the news. I'm not ready for her to know how our society works just yet.

My second EBIIT Hall of Shame Award will be shared by three recipients:  Arnold Schwarzenegger and Anthony Weiner for behaving shamefully while holding public office and the media channels who continue to report every sordid detail when there's plenty of real news to focus on. All three parties need to develop a little more propriety. Shame on all of you.

1 comment:

oomph. said...

yeah, guess media is not the best place these days...although this summer i have my daughter read one article and write me a summary. she's usually good about picking a decent (SHORT) article!

rockoomph.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...