To every thing there is a season, and a time for every purpose under the heaven.


Saturday, September 03, 2011

Labor Day Weekend Accomplishment No. 1

Ah...Labor Day weekend...when everyone kicks back and relaxes.

Uh, not in this house. Hubby is working all weekend, and I've got piles of clutter to deal with, a creative birthday party to pull off by next weekend, and a wedding to play piano for the following weekend. Meanwhile, I have all sorts of emails in my inbox excitedly announcing Labor Day sales. I'd love to do some shopping for the munchkin, not to mention myself. The writing is on the wall that by Tuesday morning, I'm going to feel frustrated that I didn't manage to accomplish everything I thought I would by the end of the weekend. So, to make myself feel better, I'm going to document what I do manage to accomplish - above and beyond the normal things like weekend grocery buying, cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc.

Accomplishment Number One:  the munchkin's Halloween costume is done. Woo-Hoo!

Last year, I ordered her a costume off of the internet in August. It was one of the smartest things I did all year. It's an absolutely certainty that without advanced planning, I'd push the costume right up to the last minute and end up with some half-baked thing that looked like we didn't try very hard. Halloween is a big deal around here. We have a neighborhood party, one of our friends has a backyard party every year, the school has a costume parade and a carnival, and to top it off, it's hubby's birthday. We need a good costume. I used to think I could save money if I made something myself, and I had fantasies once that I'd craft adorable and creative ensembles like this one:


But, let's get real. It would cost me just as much to make that as to buy something. And, crafting in October? Not likely. I'm a musician. I need to be Christmas shopping in October because I'll have extra rehearsals and playing responsibilities at Christmas. (Although, if you'd like to craft this costume, here are the instructions. Go for it!)

So, drumroll please...here is the munchkin's choice for Halloween 2011 - Girls Hot Pink Flapper.


She picked it out this morning. The reviews indicated that it runs a little longer than the picture on the model shows, which is a bit of a relief.  I'll try to put some 1920s-style finger waves in her hair. So as long as it doesn't turn off super chilly here in Georgia (necessitating a fake fur stole to complete the look), I can say

Halloween Costume:  
DONE!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...