To every thing there is a season, and a time for every purpose under the heaven.


Friday, May 30, 2008

Studio Pictures

I'm very excited to have a room in our new house where I can teach piano. I'm also happy that I now have some students and a reason to use it! Without a doubt, there will be more students by fall.

Of course, the most important thing in the room is the piano. I have a Charles Walter studio piano. Not very many people have heard of this family-owned piano company out of Indiana, but piano technicians go ga-ga over my instrument. These are very well-built pianos, and some technicians liken them to Yamaha. Mine is a little bright for my tastes these days, but the action is very good - responsive.



I finally have an "I Love Me Wall." This is what Kevin calls the wall in his office where he hangs his diplomas, his Naval commissioning, and memorabilia from his Navy days. There just wasn't room for all of my stuff, but at least some of it is up. The sofa opens into a double bed for when grandparents come to visit during arthritis flare-ups and they don't want to climb the stairs to the guest room.

I have my desk, my filing cabinet, and my digital piano all crammed onto one wall. It's a bit cluttered looking, but leaves plenty of floor space for away-from-the-piano activities with students. Maybe one day the digital piano will go away and a nice little harpsichord will take its place. For now, the digital is useful. The kids find it motivating to play, and I can use it to make recordings with my computer. These days, you just can't avoid using technology in the teaching studio. It's here to stay.

Music storage is an ongoing issue for me. Ideally, I'd like to store scores flat, but it's hard to find storage solutions that accommodate that.

So, I have music in the filing cabinet, music in the filing crates behind the keyboard, and music in the magazine files in the bookshelf. In addition to that, there's music in the guest bedroom closet. The magazine

files have actually proved to be a pretty handy tool for storing my teaching literature. I'm in the process of covering cardboard magazine files with fabric to dress them up. Pretty soon, we'll have no place to live for all the music!








No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...